The Westchester Fiction Award was founded in 2009 by Suzanne Osman, a teacher librarian for the Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California. This award honors talented authors who contribute exemplary literature to the Young Adult literary canon & the visionary publishers who bring their texts to life. When evaluating literature, the committee considers the following questions:
- Does the work have immediate and widespread appeal to adolescents?
- Is the theme/topic meaningful and relevant today?
- If the work is part of an established series, can it stand alone?
- Is there a unique quality to the work (voice, message, language, format, etc.)?
- Is the writing rich, compelling, detailed?
- Are the main characters and content age appropriate for high school students?
- Is the work a valuable addition to the Young Adult literary canon?
Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
V is for Villain by Peter Moore
Schizo by Nic Sheff
Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier
Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore
Changers by T. Cooper & Allison Glock-Cooper
Trouble by Non Pratt
The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf by Ambelin Kwaymullina
Devil’s Intern by Donna Hosie
Noggin by John Corey Whaley
2015 Honorable Mentions
Servants of the Storm by Delilah S. Dawson
Dissonance by Erica O’Rourke
Expiration Day by William Campbell Powell
The One Safe Place by Tania Unsworth
The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes