The Westchester Fiction Award was founded in 2009 by Suzanne Osman, a teacher librarian for the Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California. This award honors talented authors who contribute exemplary literature to the Young Adult literary canon & the visionary publishers who bring their texts to life. When evaluating literature, the committee considers the following questions:
- Does the work have immediate and widespread appeal to adolescents?
- Is the theme/topic meaningful and relevant today?
- If the work is part of an established series, can it stand alone?
- Is there a unique quality to the work (voice, message, language, format, etc.)?
- Is the writing rich, compelling, detailed?
- Are the main characters and content age appropriate for high school students?
- Is the work a valuable addition to the Young Adult literary canon?
All American Boys by Jason Reynolds & Kiely Brendan
Burn Girl by Mandy Mikulencak
Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest
Infandous by Elana K. Arnold
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow
Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed