The Westchester Fiction Award was founded in 2009 by Suzanne Osman, a teacher librarian for the Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California. This award honors talented authors who contribute exemplary literature to the Young Adult literary canon & the visionary publishers who bring their texts to life. When evaluating literature, the committee considers the following questions:
- Does the work have immediate and widespread appeal to adolescents?
- Is the theme/topic meaningful and relevant today?
- If the work is part of an established series, can it stand alone?
- Is there a unique quality to the work (voice, message, language, format, etc.)?
- Is the writing rich, compelling, detailed?
- Are the main characters and content age appropriate for high school students?
- Is the work a valuable addition to the Young Adult literary canon?
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
Dry by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman
Empress of all Seasons by Emiko Jean
Juan Pablo and the Butterflies by J. J. Flowers
Kingdom of the Blazing Phoenix by Julie C. Dao
A Land of Permanent Goodbyes by Atia Abawi
The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed
This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
We Are All That’s Left by Carrie Arcos
2019 Honorable Mentions:
After the Shot Drops by Randy Ribay
At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson
I, Claudia by Mary McCoy
More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer
Orphan Monster Spy by Matt Killeen