The Westchester Fiction Award was founded in 2009 by Suzanne Osman, a teacher librarian for the Los Angeles Unified School District in Los Angeles, California. This award honors talented authors who contribute exemplary literature to the Young Adult literary canon & the visionary publishers who bring their texts to life. When evaluating literature, the committee considers the following questions:
- Does the work have immediate and widespread appeal to adolescents?
- Is the theme/topic meaningful and relevant today?
- If the work is part of an established series, can it stand alone?
- Is there a unique quality to the work (voice, message, language, format, etc.)?
- Is the writing rich, compelling, detailed?
- Are the main characters and content age appropriate for high school students?
- Is the work a valuable addition to the Young Adult literary canon?
Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee by Mary G. Thompson
Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina
The Call by Peadar O’Guilin
The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron
Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs
How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather
Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
2017 Honorable Mentions:
The Memory of Light by Francisco X. Stork
Need by Joelle Charbonneau
Phantom Limbs by Paula Garner
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Wax by Gina Damico